The 19th Contemporary Bethune Charity Tour, organized by the Canadian Bethune Medical Development Association (BMDAC), started on September 14th and toured in 11 different provinces across China including Hunan Province, Hainan Province, Hebei Province, Henan Province, Jilin Province and Gansu Province. Nearly 40 experts and support teams participated in this tour.
The expert team of the Contemporary Bethune Charity Tour consisted of the following groups:
1. Diabetes Group: Academician Gary Lewis, director of the University of Toronto Diabetes Center.
2. Thoracic Surgery Group: Professor Paul Chiasson of Thoracic Surgery, St. Mary’s General Hospital, McMaster University
3. Cardiac Surgery Group: Dr. Dominique Shum-Tim, Professor of Cardiac Surgery at McGill University, Montreal.
4. Administrative Exchange Group: Professor Lee Errett, Director of the Department of Global Surgery, University of Toronto, and President of the Association.
5. Urology group: Urology surgeon at Toronto Eastern General Hospital. Professor Rajiv Singal.
6. Cardiac Intervention Group: Interventional Doctor of Cardiology Department of St. Michael’s Hospital, Professor Michael Kutryk.
7. Ophthalmology Group: Department of Ophthalmology, St. Mary’s General Hospital, McMaster University, Professor Maky Hafidh.
8. Vascular Surgery Group: Barrie Royal Regional Medical Center, Vascular Surgery Specialist, Director Sandy McDonald.
9. Cardiology Ultrasound Imaging Diagnosis Group: Toronto Scarborough Heart Health Center, Dr. James Swan.
10. Department of Neurology: Professor Robert Chen, a neurologist, Western Hospital, University of Toronto.
11. Obstetrics and Pediatrics Group: Professor Martin Post of Toronto Sick Children Hospital, Professor Isabella Caniggia of Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Sinai Hospital, and Dr. Qiang Chen of Cardiac Surgery, Royal Children’s Hospital of Bristol, UK.
12. Cardiac Surgery Group II: St. Mary’s General Hospital Affiliated to McMaster University, Director of Cardiac Surgery, Professor Yves Leclerc.
A total of 28 hospitals were visited this time. They are:
Qingdao Diabetes Hospital, Gaozhou People’s Hospital, Second Affiliated Hospital of Hainan Medical University, Second Affiliated Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Second Affiliated Hospital of Jilin University, Handan First People’s Hospital, Zhuzhou Huijia Tumor Hospital, Shanghai East China Hospital, Lanzhou University Second Hospital, Yangzhou Subei People’s Hospital, Yiwu Fuyuan Hospital, Meizhou People’s Hospital, Liaocheng People’s Hospital, Weifang People’s Hospital, Kaifeng Huaihe Hospital, Taixing People’s Hospital, Zhangzhou Municipal Hospital, Guangzhou Overseas Chinese Hospital, Guangdong Province Central Hospital, Huai’an First People’s Hospital, Zhengzhou University Affiliated Hospital, Liyang People’s Hospital, Changzhou Children’s Hospital, Jinan Children’s Hospital, Gansu Maternal and Child Health Hospital, Xiangtan Central Hospital, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Beijing Capital Iron and Steel Hospital.
Among them, 14 hospitals joined the medical exchange activities for the first time. They are:
Subei People’s Hospital, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Jilin University, The Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Hainan Medical College, Qingdao Endocrinology and Diabetes Hospital, Yiwu Fuyuan Hospital, Liyang People’s Hospital, Guangzhou Overseas Chinese Hospital, Meizhou People’s Hospital, East China Hospital, Lanzhou University Second Hospital, Tangshan Workers’ Hospital, Gansu Province Maternity and Child Health Hospital, Changzhou Children’s Hospital.
(Editorial photography by the Canadian Bethune Medical Development Association: Wang Ruijun)